Skip to content

Permits to Take Water (PTTW)

What is a Permit to Take Water (PTTW)?

A Permit to Take Water (PTTW), issued by a Director appointed by the Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks, is required if you take more than 50,000 litres of water per day, with some exceptions. Permits will not be issued for activities that would; negatively affect other users, negatively affect the environment, or remove water from a watershed that already has a high level of use. As part of the permit, you must collect and record the volumes of water taken daily and submit your records each year to the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MOECP).

Golf courses, agriculture, certain industrial activities, and construction dewatering operations are all activities that frequently draw on water as a resource and may require a PTTW.


Exemptions and Applicable Regulations

A permit is not required in the cases where:

  • You take less than 50,000 litres per day
  • The water is taken for:
    • Livestock
    • Poultry
    • Domestic purposes (e.g., home gardens and lawns)
    • Firefighting or other emergency purposes
    • Wetland Conservation
    • A weir that was constructed prior to March 29, 2016
    • Passive and/or active in-stream diversions for construction purposes
  • You receive water supplied by someone with a valid Permit to Take Water

For further information on the conditions, clarifications, and exemptions concerning Permits to Take Water, please refer to Ontario Regulation 387/04 and Section 34 of the Ontario Water Resources Act.


Types of Permits

There are three types of permits that are issued.

  • Category 1:
    • Low Risk, including renewals where there is no history of complaints
  • Category 2:
    • Water takings with greater potential to cause adverse environmental impact
  • Category 3:
    • High Risk

Category 2 and 3 applications require the completion of a scientific evaluation (eg. a Hydrogeological Assessment) as part of the application process.

The application process also carries additional fees to the MOECP to process, review, and issue a permit. Certain industries are exempted from the additional fees imposed by the MOECP.


Monitoring Requirements

As part of any PTTW you will be required to monitor and record the volumes of water taken daily. Some PTTWs will also require long term monitoring of groundwater levels and the collection of groundwater samples. JFM Environmental Limited offers the necessary services to achieve compliance with your PTTW, whether it includes supervising the installation of monitoring wells, collection of groundwater elevation data and samples, or the successful implementation of automated monitoring solutions.


JFM Environmental Limited’s Services and Experience

JFM Environmental Limited has successfully been involved in applying for and obtaining Permits to Take Water for numerous clients and activities throughout the province of Ontario. Projects have included PTTWs for golf courses, agricultural operations including greenhouses, industrial operations including concrete plants, construction dewatering activities, and more. Successful permit applications have included ponds, rivers, streams, and groundwater as sources.

JFM Environmental Limited is also suitably qualified and experienced in the preparation of supporting Hydrogeological Assessments for PTTW. Please click here for more information on Hydrogeological Assessments.

If you would like more information on our services and how we can assist you please feel free to contact us.